Stanford Domains is a free, self-service web publishing tool used to create personal digital spaces for various media, e.g., portfolios and wikis.
Stanford students, faculty, and staff can register a free subdomain (mysubdomain.su.domains) and install WordPress, MediaWiki, Drupal, or other popular open-source applications.
|Simple web interface||Knowledge of HTML is not required to create personal website|
|Number of websites allowed||Unlimited|
|Free domains||URL includes SUNet ID username (e.g., sunetid.su.domains, FirstLastName.su.domains)|
|Custom domains||Any available domain (e.g., [customdomain].com) for $15/year|
|Storage||1 GB storage for personal hosting of website|
|Backup||Stanford Domains sites are backed up daily. You can use cPanel to backup your site and move your site to other hosting environment.|
|Website migration||Easily migrate to a third-party hosting service when leaving Stanford|
- Individual faculty, staff, and students
- Labs, groups, student, or staff organizations
For official department websites or websites with more complex needs, check out Stanford Sites.
- A full-service SUNet ID
- Yearly reply to audit to confirm Stanford association
For more information about Stanford Security practices, please review the following guidelines here:
- Stanford Security Standards for Applications
- Stanford Security Standards for Software-as-a-Service (SAAS)
Please also refer to the following policies for additional guidance:
Free of charge
Need help choosing a web hosting service? Explore options for where to build and maintain your website, and what University IT recommends for different website needs.
- Overview of Stanford Domains (video from Stanford WebCamp 2021)
- WordPress Tutorials for Beginners
- WordPress Forums
- WordPress Fundamentals Training
- Using a Custom URL for Your Website
Community of Practice
Not what you’re looking for? Check out Stanford Sites, a robust service that is more suitable for groups and departments at Stanford.