University IT provides this research computing hosting service for Stanford researchers who want to operate their equipment in a secure, centrally managed data center. This controlled environment is run as a university resource, providing secure and reliable services for research computing.
The space is designed for high-density computing. University IT will work with the researcher and/or staff during and after the grant-writing process to ensure that appropriate equipment is specified for this space in Forsythe Hall.
- Assistance in specifying equipment, coordinating purchases, and planning deployment into the data center
- Standard vendor-populated racks; pre-existing standard racks are also available
- 10 GB network connection to the campus backbone and the researcher-provided switch
- Secured entry
- 7x24 monitoring of environmental control systems
- Fire detection and suppression; water intrusion sensors
- Power for installed equipment with visual usage information
- An uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to protect against power anomalies and a standby generator to maintain normal operations during a utility outage
Stanford faculty researchers
The client must notify University IT when facilities will be used to house Moderate and High Risk Data. Clients are responsible for adhering to Stanford's policies governing the handling of data.
To initiate an order for space in the Research Computing area of Forsythe Hall, work with your University IT Business Partner to jointly submit an email to the Research Computing support team.