Stanford's Mobile Device Management (MDM) service installs profiles on your device that configure and maintain settings on your device. MDM helps protect your privacy and the university's data.
Before you can enroll your iOS device in the MDM service you'll need to install the Intellignet Hub app from iTunes.
What to expect after you install MDM
It might take a few minutes to fully install the profiles on your device, so please be patient. When the process is complete, you’ll find MDM profiles installed in Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management.
Your device will:
- Require a passcode to unlock. You can change this setting to "Immediately," one minute, or five minutes. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and then enter your passcode. Then tap Require Passcode and make a selection.
- Time out after a period of inactivity and require a passcode to unlock it. You can change your preferences in Settings for a period up to five minutes. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock.
- Sync your @stanford email, contacts, and calendar appointments after installation.
- Require you to enter your @stanford.edu email password before you can access your email.
- Be set up to access the Stanford VPN.
- Check periodically to make sure it hasn't been jailbroken.
- Display the Stanford App Catalog.
- Perform otherwise as it did before you installed the MDM.
Before you begin
- Check that your device is running iOS 12 or later. You cannot enroll a device in MDM if the OS is below 12.
- It is recommended that your device be connected to a Wi-Fi network during enrollment because of the bandwidth used to download your email and calendar
Download Intelligent Hub
You must be using your iOS device to begin the enrollment process.
Enroll in MDM
- When the app has finished downloading, tap Open.
Alternatively, you can open the Intelligent Hub app from your home screen by tapping the Hub app.
- Enter your Stanford email address and tap Next.
- You may be prompted to log in with SUNet ID and password, followed by two-step authentication.
Typically there is a delay before the next page displays.
- If the device is a personally-owned device, click yes. If it is a Stanford-owned device, select no.
- Answer yes or no depending on whether or not your device is a shared device. Most often, the answer is "no."
If this is a shared corporate device that should not have an individual's email address associated with it, submit a Help ticket to have the email profile removed after the device is enrolled in MDM.
- Tap Accept to accept the terms and conditions.
- Two privacy messages will explain what information is accessible to MDM. Click continue to proceed.
- Set up a profile by selecting Download profile.
- Download the profile by selecting Allow.
- Once the profile downlods, select Close.
- Go to your Settings application if you're not automatically directed there.
- Workplace services are required before the app can be installed. Choose Install to proceed.
- A warning message saying that this profile allows an administrator to remotely manage your device displays. Tap Install.
Note: This message is standard legal information from Apple and is generated automatically. See the Additional iOS Privacy Information page for more information about this warning.
- When the profile has finished installing, the Profile Installed page displays. Tap Done.
- App management automatically configures the device’s native email client. To allow app management, choose Manage. You may be prompted to enter email account credentials.
- When the Privacy page displays, tap I understand.
- When the data sharing page displays, tap I agree.
- A page allowing you to access your account information displays. You can navigate away from this page.
Set a passcode
If you do not already have a passcode, you must set one within 60 minutes after your device is enrolled in MDM. The passcode must be a minimum of six digits.
- You are prompted to set a passcode if you do not already have one. Tap Continue to set one now.
- When prompted for a new passcode, enter six digits and tap Continue.
- Re-enter your new passcode and then tap Save.
Set your email password and activate your email
When you enroll in MDM, your @Stanford email is configured on your device. However, you may need to set your email password.
Note: It can take a few minutes for the Hub server to provide your device with your email profile.
Tap the Mail app to activate your Stanford email. If you are prompted for your Stanford Mail password enter your email password and tap OK.
You can also set your Stanford Mail password as follows:
- On the home page, navigate to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Stanford Office 365 (or the name of your Stanford email account).
- Tap Account and enter your email password in the Password field.
If your email is hosted on Google, use your Google account password.
- Tap Done.
Connect to the Stanford VPN
See Configure VPN for Apple iOS for instructions on how to connect to the Stanford VPN with your iOS device.
Manage your mobile device
Once your device is successfully enrolled in Mobile Device Management (MDM), you can manage your device in MyDevices. It can take up to 8 hours before your device appears. See Manage a Mobile Device for more information.