Stanford's Mobile Device Management (MDM) service installs profiles on your device that configure and maintain settings on your device. MDM helps protect your privacy and the university's data.
Before you can enroll your iOS device in the MDM service you'll need to install the AirWatch app from iTunes.
What to expect after you install MDM
It might take a few minutes to fully install the profiles on your device, so please be patient. When the process is complete, you’ll find MDM profiles installed in Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management.
Your device will:
- Require a passcode to unlock. You can change this setting to "Immediately," one minute, or five minutes. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and then enter your passcode. Then tap Require Passcode and make a selection.
- Time out after a period of inactivity and require a passcode to unlock it. You can change your preferences in Settings for a period up to five minutes. Go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock.
- Sync your @stanford email, contacts, and calendar appointments after installation.
- Require you to enter your @stanford.edu email password before you can access your email.
- Be set up to access the Stanford VPN.
- Check periodically to make sure it hasn't been jailbroken.
- Display the AirWatch app and the Stanford App Catalog.
- Perform otherwise as it did before you installed the MDM.
Before you begin
- Check that your device is running iOS 9.3.5 or later. You cannot enroll a device in MDM if the OS is below 9.3.5.
You must be using your iOS device to begin the enrollment process.
Enroll in MDM
- When the app has finished downloading, tap Open.
Alternatively, you can open AirWatch from your home screen by tapping the Agent app.
- At the welcome screen, tap Email Address for your authentication method.
- Enter your Stanford email address and tap Go.
- If you didn't enter a valid email address, the next screen prompts you for a server and group ID. If this screen displays, enter the following and then tap Enroll Device.
- Server: mm.stanford.edu
- Group ID: SU-MDM or SU-Google (depending on where your @stanford.edu email is hosted; case sensitive)
- When the WebLogin screen displays, enter your SUNet ID and password and tap Login.
- Select the owner of the device and then tap Next.
If this is a shared corporate device that should not have an individual's email address associated with it, submit a Help ticket to have the email profile removed after the device is enrolled in MDM.
- On the Enable Device Management page, tap Redirect and Enable.
- When the Install Profile page displays, tap Install.
- Enter your passcode if you are prompted for it.
- Tap Install.
- A warning message saying that this profile allows an administrator to remotely manage your device displays. Tap Install.
Note: This message is standard legal information from Apple and is generated automatically. See the Additional iOS Privacy Information page for more information about this warning.
- When the Remote Management displays, tap Trust.
- If the Password Required prompt displays, enter your email password and then tap OK.
- When the profile has finished installing, the Profile Installed page displays. Tap Done.
- Tap Open to open the AirWatch Agent.
- Next, a message saying that authentication is complete displays. Tap Done.
- If you see a message saying the agent would like to send you notifications, tap Allow or OK.
- A page showing information about your device displays. You can navigate away from this page.
Set a passcode
If you do not already have a passcode, you must set one within 60 minutes after your device is enrolled in MDM. The passcode must be a minimum of four digits.
- You are prompted to set a passcode if you do not already have one. Tap Continue to set one now.
- When prompted for a new passcode, enter four or more digits and tap Continue.
- Re-enter your new passcode and then tap Save.
Set your email password and activate your email
When you enroll in MDM, your @Stanford email is configured on your device. However, you may need to set your email password.
Note: It can take a few minutes for the AirWatch server to provide your device with your email profile.
Tap the Mail app to activate your Stanford email. If you are prompted for your Stanford Mail password enter your email password and tap OK.
You can also set your Stanford Mail password as follows:
- On the home page, navigate to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Stanford Office 365 (or the name of your Stanford email account).
- Tap Account and enter your email password in the Password field.
If your email is hosted on Google, use your Google account password.
- Tap Done.
Connect to the Stanford VPN
See Configure VPN for Apple iOS for instructions on how to connect to the Stanford VPN with your iOS device.
Manage your mobile device
Once your device is successfully enrolled in Mobile Device Management (MDM), you can manage your device in MyDevices. It can take up to 8 hours before your device appears. See Manage a Mobile Device for more information.