University IT is Stanford's cable television service provider. Called Cardinal Cable, the service offers entertainment, sports, news, cultural programming, and educational channels. Stanford offers Cable TV service for student, faculty, and staff residences as well as classrooms and conference rooms.
Stanford's Infrastructure transports television services throughout Stanford's residential and academic environments. The service delivered through the campus infrastructure requires a one-time activation fee with a monthly technology fee to support the operation and maintenance of the system as well as a variety of specialty programming from other sources. Included are both SD and HD programming.
For student residence halls and on-campus apartments
If you and your roommate(s) choose to subscribe to cable TV service, you must subscribe through the university. Local cable TV companies do not provide service at Stanford. Service is charged monthly to your University bill.
For faculty and staff residences
At Olmsted Terrace, Stanford West, and Welch Road Apartments.
For classrooms and conference rooms
Used by university departments in classrooms and conference rooms, Cardinal Cable provides access to educational and news channels.
Cardinal Cable TV is available to academic departments/programs, current students living on campus, and residents of Stanford West, Welch Road Apartments, and Olmsted Terrace.
Service subscription and a Cardinal Cable cable box.
To order Cardinal Cable TV service:
- Faculty and staff — Place an order for your residence using the online form on the Residential Communication Services page.
- Students — Place your order online through orderit.stanford.edu.
You can self-install your digital cable box. Cable boxes are available for pickup the day after you submit your order online, at:
- ID Card Office at Tresidder Union at 459 Lagunita Drive, 2nd floor, next to the Ticket Office [map]
Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed from 12:30 to 1 p.m.)
You must cancel your service online and return your cable box!
If you do not return your digital cable box when you cancel your service, you will be charged a $449.95 fee for the unreturned box.
- Students should return cable boxes to their Housing Front Desk.
- Residents of Welch Road Apartments should return cable boxes to the Welch Road Leasing Office at 1180 Welch Road, Apt. 816.
- Residents of Stanford West and Olmsted Terrace should return cable boxes to the ID Card Office, Tresidder Union at 459 Lagunita Drive, 2nd floor, next to the Ticket Office, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed from 12:30 – 1 p.m.) [map].
- Please submit a help Ticket.
- For assistance Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., call 5-HELP (650-725-4357), and press Option 2 for billing/account information or Option 3 for technical support. After hours and holiday calls are answered around the clock by the IT Operations Center.
- Stanford Cardinal Cable Television service is monitored 24/7 for performance and component failures. Systems personnel are alerted to failures and will respond to alerts.