The following describes maintenance processes and schedules for the ITS Firewall Service infrastructure, in addition to support and escalation information.
- Maintenance windows for any firewall work (physical upgrade, software upgrades, preventative maintenance) follow the general change management processes as outlined at:
- Scheduled maintenance windows:
- a. Thursday, 4-6am
- b. Saturday, 5-8am
- c. Sunday, 5- 8am.
- In all cases, maintenance is scheduled and negotiated with the application owners who are impacted.
- The Firewall team reserves the right to schedule emergency maintenance with minimal notification in the event of a significant security event.
- Major changes and downtimes are scheduled through ITS Change Management Request System.
Escalation Procedures & Support
- In the event of a suspected or confirmed firewall malfunction, or if an emergency action is needed on the firewall to respond to a security threat, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and call 650 723 1611 and request a page to the Network on-call staff. A callback will be placed within 1 hour. (Pending available resources)
- IMPORTANT - Rule requests and modifications are NOT considered to be emergencies and should not be escalated to the on-call staff. All rules must be requested, clarified, and tested during normal business hours. If firewall technical resources are needed for after hours or weekend project work, a written request with an account number must be sent to: email@example.com at least two weeks prior to the date of the scheduled work.