The online directory includes:
- the department name and identifiers for all active organizations in the Stanford University hierarchy.
- basic departmental information for the organizations listed in these sections of the printed directory:
- University Offices and Departments [blue pages]
- Medical Center Directory [orange pages]
This basic information is the section in bold at the top of each department's listing in the printed directory, and looks something like this:
Margaret Jacks Hall, Bldg. 460, 2nd floor, 450 Serra Mall
The online directory does not yet include:
- lists of staff, faculty, and others associated with an organization
- the explanatory notes found at the top of some printed directory listings
All Stanford organizations have a 4-character Administrative ID (AdminID, also known as the "org code") and some academic organizations also have an Academic ID (AcadID). Identifier searches are by exact match only. They are not stem-matched (e.g., the search term "FA" will not find all the org codes beginning with FA).
- Searching by an AdminID (e.g., CBAU) will find a single result, because AdminIDs are unique and are not "real" words.
- AcadIDs are mnemonic (e.g., MUSIC), and often match real words, so searching by an organization's AcadID may also find organizations with that keyword in their name.
If your search finds more than one organization
Search results list the "Display Name" of each organization found, followed by its org code (AdminID) in brackets. If the organization also has an academic ID (AcadID), that is listed after the AdminID, as in: Music [PIEE, MUSIC].
Each organization displays its location in the Stanford organization hierarchy, to help you select between different organizations with similar names:
- Faculty Support [UEFW]
- in Associate Dean for Administration » Chief Operating Officer » Graduate School of Business
- Faculty Support [HHJW]
- in Registrars Office » University Registrar » Vice Provost for Student Affairs » Provost's Office
Organizations may have alternate searchable names, to provide additional access points. If these exist, they are displayed after the hierarchy.
- Department of Energy Resources Engineering [TASA, PETROLENGR]
- in School of Earth Sciences
- includes Petroleum Engineering
Sort order of results
If your search results include Schools and Offices at the top level of the organization hierarchy (that is, organizations whose direct parent is Stanford University), they will appear at the top of the search results, in large font, like this:
- Law School [TMVZ, LAW]
If your search term matches an organization's ID and also matches keywords in some organization names, the ID match will be marked as such, and displayed immediately after any Schools or Offices in the results list. All remaining results are listed in alphabetical order by name.
E.g., the Music department appears first in this list (out of alphabetic order) because its AcadID matches the search term "music":
- Music [PIEE, MUSIC] id match
- Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics [PILT]
- Music Library [JPEF]
Displaying the organization listing
The organization listing page is displayed either when you click an organization's name in the results list, or when your search finds only one match (e.g., an AdminID search). It includes a subset of the information listed below, for each organization. Apart from the names and identifiers shown in bold, it is the responsibility of the organization's maintainer to determine what information to display.
- Display Name
- Registered Name (if different from Display Name)
- Campus Location
- Mailing Address
- Department Website
- Administrative ID
- Academic ID
- Referred from (see references)
- See also references (links to other organizations)
For information about maintaining organization information, or becoming an organization maintainer, see Maintain Your Organization's Online Listing.