Hardware recommendation glossary
- A wireless device used to communicate in small private networks, such as between a computer and bluetooth-equipped mobile phones, PDAs, printers, digital cameras, and so forth.
- Hard Drive
- Permanent data storage on a computer.
- Temporary fast storage on a computer. More RAM would allow for a greater number of applications and processes to run simultaneously without reducing performance.
- Ultraportable laptop
- An ultraportable laptop is a smaller, more lightweight form of laptop computer.
In comparison to a normal laptop, they are generally not quite as high-performance and substitute power for increased portability. Typical ultraportable characteristics:
- 2-3 lbs.
- 10-13" LCD display
- External CD/DVD Drive (in a docking station)
- Wireless (WiFi)
- A wireless device generally used to access public networks, such as the Internet or local data servers.
- WXGA or WSXGA
- A widescreen aspect ratio display, approximately 16:9.
- XGA or SXGA
- A standard screen aspect ratio display, approximately 4:3.