Stanford Desktop Tools (SDT) checks for updates to Stanford site-licensed software on a schedule that you specify. You can launch SDT at your convenience and install the updates from within the tool.
You can also authenticate to Kerberos and access Stanford OpenAFS functions, if the applications are installed, via the Stanford Desktop Tools shortcut menu.
Install Stanford Desktop Tools
- Download and run the Stanford Desktop Tools installer.
- At the Welcome window, click Next to continue.
- Read the license agreement and then click Next.
- Read the release notes and then click Next.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- When the installation has completed, click Finish.
- The Stanford Desktop Tools icon now appears in the notification area (you may have to click the arrow at the far right of the task bar to show hidden icons).
Note: If the icon isn't displayed, Windows 8 and 10 users launch Stanford Desktop Tools from your list of apps. Windows 7 users can click the Start button and navigate to All Programs > Stanford > Desktop Tools and then click Stanford Desktop Tools.
Stanford Desktop Tools
Stanford Desktop Tools lets you select which applications you want to be notified about when updates are available. You can specify how often you want STD to check for updates. You can then launch Stanford Desktop Tools at your convenience and install the updates from within the tool.
Configure update preferences
The Setup Assistant opens automatically the first time you install Stanford Desktop Tools. It walks you through the process of setting up your software update preferences.
You can change your preference settings anytime opening Stanford Desktop Tools and clicking the Manage Subscriptions link .
- Configure the following options:
- Launch Stanford Desktop Tools at login: check this box if you want to have the Stanford Desktop Tools icon available in the notification area when you log in to your computer (default). If this box is not checked, If the icon isn't displayed, Windows 8 and 10 users launch Stanford Desktop Tools from your list of apps. Windows 7 users can click the Start button and navigate to All Programs > Stanford > Desktop Tools and then click Stanford Desktop Tools.
- Sounds to play when updates become available: if you want to be notified by sound when updates become available, click the Non-critical updates and/or Critical updates arrow and choose Default. Or, choose your own sound by using the Browse button to locate a .WAV file on your computer. To preview the sound you have selected, click the Play arrow .
- Click Next to continue.
- Select the software you want to keep updated.
- To add a program to the list of software you are keeping updated with Stanford Desktop Tools, click a program in the list of available applications on the left and then click Subscribe.
- To remove a program from your list of subscriptions, click a program in the list of selected applications on the right and then click Unsubscribe.
- Click Next to continue.
- To automatically check for updates to the programs to which you have subscribed, click the Automatically check for updates box and specify the frequency (once per day, per week, or per month). The default is to check for updates weekly.
- Click Finish to save your preferences and close the Setup Assistant.
After installing Stanford Desktop Tools and configuring your preferences, check to see whether there are any programs or updates to install.
- Launch Stanford Desktop Tools by clicking the icon in the notification area.
Note: If you don't see the icon, Windows 8 and 10 users launch Stanford Desktop Tools from your list of apps . Windows 7 users can launch Stanford Desktop Tools by clicking the Windows Start button and navigating to Programs > Stanford > Desktop Tools > Stanford Desktop Tools.
- To install a program to which you have subscribed, click the corresponding Not Installed or Download link. To update a program, click the Update Required link.
Note: You can subscribe or unsubscribe to software by clicking the Manage Subscriptions link.
- When the Install Software message is displayed, click OK to begin the installation.
Note: During installation, the SDT icon changes to an installation in progress icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
- When you are finished updating your software, click Close.
Check for software updates
Stanford Desktop Tools automatically checks for software updates according to the schedule you set in the preferences. If updates are available for any of your software subscriptions, you will be notified.
- When Stanford Desktop Tools automatically checks for updates, an yellow triangle is displayed on top of the the SDT icon in the dock if updates are available
Note: If an update is urgent, typically to address security vulnerabilities, the yellow triangle remains visible until the urgent update is installed.
- Click the SDT update available icon to display a message describing the available updates.
- Click the SDT icon to open Stanford Desktop Tools.
- Click the Not Installed or Download link in the Program Status column to update your software.
- If you want to check for updates manually, right-click the Stanford Desktop tools icon ( ) in the notification area and then click Check for Software Updates.
Access other applications through Stanford Desktop Tools
You can authenticate to Kerberos and access OpenAFS from the SDT shortcut menu. To display the menu, right-click the Stanford Desktop Tools icon in the notification (you may have to click the arrow to show hidden icons).
Obtain new credentials (authenticate to Kerberos)
Some services at Stanford, such as Stanford OpenAFS, use Kerberos for authentication. You can authenticate to Kerberos at any time using the Stanford Desktop Tools shortcut menu. See Obtaining new credentials (authenticating with Kerberos) for more information.
Access Stanford OpenAFS
You can access Stanford OpenAFS functions to mount AFS volumes and manage pts groups from the Stanford Desktop Tools shortcut menu. See Install Stanford OpenAFS for Windows for more information.
If you encounter problems or need assistance, please submit a Help ticket.