How do I move files from Google My Drive to a Shared drive?
A recent update to Google Shared drives allows you to move files from your Google My Drive to a Shared drive. Follow these steps:
- Access your Google My Drive and locate the files you want to move.
- Select the file or files by clicking on a single file or holding the Shift key while clicking all of the files you want to move.
- Right-click, or Ctrl-click on the selected file(s).
- Select Move to…
- In the drop down list, you will see a list of folders on your My Drive. Click the left arrow icon to the left of My Drive.
- In the drop down list of available drives, double-click on Team Drives.
- By double-clicking, navigate to the drive and folder where you want to move the files.
- Click the Move Here button.
The file(s) are moved to the folder you selected.
Why use Shared drives
Storing files in a Shared drive, instead of in your personal My Drive, provides a variety of benefits, including:
- If you are working with a group of people and want to share and collaborate on document(s), you can create a Shared drive. By granting access permission to the team members, everyone on your team can collaborate on the document(s) without requiring you to individually invite each person to ‘share’ each document.
- Documents stored in a Shared drive persist for the team’s use, even if one of the team members leaves the project or the organization.
- If a person joins your project team or work group, you can quickly give them access to all shared documents by making them a member of the Shared drive, rather than having to grant access to every individual document they need.
For more information visit, Google Shared drives.